Bupa 10k Manchester Run 2014

(Check my profile for game IDs) #1

Hi all, in around 3 weeks time I will be running the Bupa Manchester 10k.
I’ve done the race twice before, but I think this year is going to be the hardest.

Last year’s race number:

I used to be relatively fit, doing quite a lot of running and going to the gym twice a week as well as doing bits and pieces at home, but nowadays I’m not exactly the most active person, with my only workout being to climb the single flight of stairs to the office.
Entering the race this year was a bit of a spur of the moment thing, my brother has been planning to do it for a while and since I’ve been too lazy to any training I decided not to enter.
So now at the 11th hour, after hitting 200lbs and 26% body fat (which I’ve been informed is classed as borderline obese) I’ve decided this will be a kick start to eating better and doing more exercise.

This year’s route:

Now, why am I telling you all of this? Well it’s all a shameless plug to get some money from you.

This year I am running for the Alzhiemer’s Society because unfortunately my wife’s grandmother suffers from the disease.
I’m not normally one to be begging people for money, and I know times are hard for everyone but anything you can donate would be much appreciated.

All the money goes directly to the charity, not to me, and please GiftAid it if you do donate.

To donate, please go to my JustGiving page at http://www.justgiving.com/RDunneBupaManchester2014
or text RICD89 and your amount £1, £2, £3, £4, £5 or £10
http://d2cme1q4f44ryr.cloudfront.net/Utils/imaging.ashx?width=400&imageType=frpphoto&img=42014/8dfb5a4f-0835-4f68-abcb-03f1bdc8dbf7.png

Thank you for your support.

My next question, is there anyone else that is doing the race this year?
If so have you received your pack yet?
When I get mine through I’ll post up my race number and we can compare times and pictures.

(Gavin Rainey) #2

Good thread, I however am not a runner by any means

(Peter Woodberry) #3

I haven’t ran in a marathon or anything like that but I consider myself a decent runner, always did well in School and College meets and stuff, I held the 1500m record in Somerset for U14’s back in the day.

I really want to enter a marathon probably in a few years when I’m fully back in shape.

(Check my profile for game IDs) #4

@Easy Yeah running isn’t for everyone, I know some people who are super fit and healthy, go to the gym 4-5 times per week, but you mention running to them and they (ironically) run away from the conversation :P. I guess it’s the same as I don’t think I could ever commit to the gym routine you’re doing at the moment :slight_smile:
I enjoy running I think because it just gives me a time to unwind and vary my environment. Plus I don’t have to see anyone else, every time I go to the gym I always feel a bit awkward, because despite being 6ft and by no means a weed, I’m a bit of a wuss when it comes to the weight I can lift or the reps I can do.

@WoodchucK I’m planning to enter a half marathon at the end of the year I think, there are a number of 10k’s between then and now I have my eye on, so if I can keep it up and shift a few lbs then hopefully I’ll be able to do a the Manchester or Liverpool marathon next year, I’m too lazy to go down to London

(Sanchez ) #5

Ive seen a couple people on my FB talking about this , and i am of the personal opinion that there must be something in your water to want to run a marathon for “fun” .

Good luck and dont over do it

(Xenoscythe) #6

Oh nice! I’m running in the Bupa Great Yorkshire Run in sheffield on the 28th september. I last ran it in 2011 but i didn’t train at all (nor have i this time ;_:wink: and ran it in skater shoes because my trainers were in storage as i was mid house move…but still managed under an hour! Im aiming for 45-50 minutes this time as i have my proper trainers and will be doing a bit of training coming up to the event.

How did you endup doing?

(Check my profile for game IDs) #7

See I’m not that fit :slight_smile:

I think i did it in around 70 min, I have the Wigan 10k in around 3 weeks, so I’m hoping to do that a little quicker