Buying a new laptop, need help

(Nick) #1

Ey boys,

I need a new laptop for work like graphic design, game design and video editing. A friend told me I’d need a dedicated GPU and so far I’ve only seen budget ones with 5400 RPM on the hard drives (which sucks). My current spending limit is 1200 euros (~845 GBP), 1300 (~915 FBP) would be the absolute maximum.

So what would be the ideal laptop(s)?

I found the “MSI GP70 2QF-604NL” (cannot find a link to an English site, so here’s a Dutch one:) http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/439472/msi-gp70-2qf-604nl-(leopard-pro)/specificaties/

No idea if it has a dedicated GPU though, no idea how to spot that lol

(Xenoscythe) #2

You get an 128 mSata ssd drive thrown in even though its not in the specification, which will make your OS and graphics tools lightning fast to load.

Comes with an IPS screen which will give you actually good colours compared to most TN panel laptops.
960M dedicated graphics card is very good and will certainly handle everything you’ll throw at it video/graphics/design wise. (Plus if you fancy sneaking some gaming in it’ll run pretty much anything at 60fps on highest settings)
i7 Processor which if you’re video editing you’ll take advantage of the hyperthreading

(Nick) #3

@Xenoscythe that thing looks perfect, thanks! It’s € 1500,- if I’m to buy it here in the Netherlands though. I could get it through my brother’s girlfriend, who lives in England. Thing is: if something goes wrong with it, I’m pretty much f’d, aren’t I?

(Dean) #4

Try ordering from America. I remember looking at them on Amazon and it was pretty much a straight $1=£1 conversion. Worked out a lot cheaper so I’d take a look at the US amazon.

(Xenoscythe) #5

Careful with this though, the Americans have about 398745638 different versions of Asus laptops.

You should be okay if anything goes wrong if you buy it from Amazon.co.uk as far as I’m aware its covered the same due to being in the EU and Amazon’s delivery costs are practically none existent to Netherlands.

Edit::

Netherlands
Standard (2-3 days)

Music / DVD / Blu-ray / Software / Video Games (excluding consoles) - £2.80 per delivery + £0.40 per kg.
Books (includes audio books) - £4.00 per delivery + £0.40 per kg.
Other categories (including Video Games consoles) - £4.00 per delivery + £0.40 per kg.
For any combination of items from the categories listed above the highest “Per Delivery” rate applies. Add the appropriate “per kg” rate as listed above, rounded to the nearest 0.10kg.

Two-Day Delivery (2 days)

All categories - £5.70 per delivery + £0.50 per kg.
One-Day Delivery (1 day)

All categories - £9 per delivery + £2.40 per kg.
For any combination of items from the categories listed above add together the appropriate “per item” rates. The highest “Per Delivery” rate applies. Add the appropriate “per kg” rate as listed above.

(Nick) #6

Yeah, I’m not going to order it in America since I’d probably end up paying even more than neccesary. Looking into buying it off this site as you’ve suggested (looks incredible for its price). I’ll know if I will this friday!

(Nick) #7

Also found this: http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/441336/acer-aspire-v17-nitro-vn7-791g-78f9/specificaties/

Has a lot of good specs as far as I know (except the 5400rpm hdd and edge-lit backlight) and for an acceptable price. But it’s an Acer, and I recently heard they tend to die fast (I actually had one back in 2007 and it died within a year). Has that changed or does this still happen?