Forum issues

(Gavin Rainey) #1

Hi All,

Apologies for the issues, having Teamspeak on the same box interrupts the forum upgrade and it errored it in the middle.

A while back I put the message out about how it would be beneficial for us to move to discord.

See what it does and how it stacks up, it also integrates extremely well with our cups.

And if we expand beyond SF5 and Hearthstone it will prove vital.

It gets my vote, if we get a majority vote I will turn off TS3 and get the discord we partially configured up and running.

(Liam Dakin) #2

A few of us have been using Discord for a couple of months now, we have a SSRCG channel set-up and everything, which you can find here https://discordapp.com/channels/112774822487953408/112774822487953408 And you can access us directly on the web or using the App for Windows, Android, DOS, all the good stuff.

Get in touch with @Noodle, @Xenoscythe or @Easy if you need anything doing with the server as they are the mods (They never let me touch anything, and rightly so) But if you want any information on how to use Discord, then I’ll try and help in any way I can

I don’t think Discord has it’s own verb yet, so happy VOIP-ing

(DayC) #3

@Roozle That link doesn’t appear to send me to a channel. Do you have an invite to the server people can use?

(Lethal) #4

I’ve been using Discord with the Halo Community for the last few months, organising EU Customs weekly so that the lower tier players can get more involved and ask questions about the events etc.

Discord’s UI is awesome and I’ve heard fantastic things about the mobile version of the app. It’s basically a better version of TS3/Mumble/Skype combined. Communication is key with this program, especially the way you can just send a link or join a party without having to add an IP, port and password + installing the software itself. It also has rich text chat which means you can directly post gifs, videos, gachimuchis and anything else in particular.

Our TS has disconnected a few times in the past on rare occasions, but Discord has failover (switches server’s if the current one fails).

I’m all for it, I also like men.

Used Discord when us lot were playing Paladins, really liked the program so yea happy with moving to that - 'cause you know I’m so active on there atm as well

(Dean) #6

There is no competition between Discord and anything else, it’s leaps and bounds ahead and is rapidly becoming the standard. It’s text chat will be fantastic for people gathering on CS and the voice chat is fantastic. The fact it’s free us also a plus as you can make your own servers for inner circle loving if you don’t want to be disturbed while still being able to chat in other servers.

This is the first program that is a true successor to IRC and you can tell as the gaming community is eating it up. Most games have an official discord these days for the community, and devs are getting involved. When we played Paladins we were constantly talking to the devs about the game which shows that it’s getting seriously picked up now. I can see it replacing Mumble and Ventriloquist, not sure it can pull people off of TS any time soon though as people are attached.

(Xenoscythe) #7

Anyone wanting to join the discord, download the app here:

Once installed & chosen a name, click this icon on the left side

Click this button

Paste in the following:

You can also use the above link to join in the web browser too!

or even go to http://ssrcg.com/discord

(Liam Dakin) #8

Sorry! Don’t think i’m allowed to create invite links :frowning: luckily @Xenoscythe is far more organised

(DayC) #9

Yep i’m in now don’t worry. Might be worth adding this link to our Pandi HS events so people can come in and chat.

(Sam Connolly) #10

How does Discord work, I’m guessing it uses Real Time Communications (RTC) in browsers, but do you then connect to a server which hosts your groups chat or is it a peer to peer system?
Also, does it support push to talk with mouse buttons? Always used MB4 for mine push to talk button on TS but had issues with some programs not recognizing MB4 / 5.

(Sam Connolly) #11

Think that link you’ve told us to paste in to join the channel may have expired, I get this error in the browser:

(Xenoscythe) #12

Is there an A on the end of that url?

(Sam Connolly) #13

There is, the box is just hiding the last character :slight_smile:

(DayC) #14

It’s probably expired, hopefully Xeno will be able to setup a more permanent one.

(Xenoscythe) #15

Edited it again, it was set to never expire but it was being flaky for some reason!

(Liam Dakin) #16

The App supports PTT, the web does not afaik :slight_smile:

(Lethal) #17

@Easy Do you know when you’ll plan to migrate across to Discord?

(Gavin Rainey) #18

Going to give it a few days here, but if it were me I would do it tonight. I don’t wait and often take the cannon approach

(Xenoscythe) #19

I think since we all last talked about it, discord has advanced enough as both a IRC/Skype replacement and also a teamspeak replacement. Many of the original issues were fixed and most games and platforms these days have a discord that you can interact with devs and the community.

(Sam Hather) #20

Absolutely love Discord… miles ahead of everything else. My only worry with it is the same issue that we had in Skype. People will use text threads in the discord channel to generate / create discussion instead of posting on here.

Wouldn’t mind either way, though I do prefer discord to ts.