My view on discord vs TS after being on it for a little while:
Benefits of discord:
- Conversations / channels are cool, and they show thumb nails which TS doesn’t do, also keeps everyone involved.
- Shows what games people are on at any one time.
- Is free
- Doesn’t remember what output / input device I set, always changes back to ‘Default device’. Causes confusion and takes me a while to realise people can’t hear me talking.
- No client connection info, if people start lagging in game it’s cool to check on TS if it’s something to do with the game server or it’s TS, unfortunately can’t do that on Discord.
- Uses a shit ton of RAM compared to TS.
- Not quite as stable as TS, have heard people complaining of bugs and having to use the web client because the desktop client doesn’t work, or the desktop client because the web client not working.
I think all in all for a forum community, Discord is probably more suitable just because the conversation feeds keep everyone involved. But I can also see why people are reluctant to make the switch as well