GPU Sag

I went to check on the dust collection of my rig this morning and noticed quite a bit of GPU sagging. I understand with larger heavier cards you’re going to have this and to some extent they’re designed to, however should I be concerned with the amount it’s bending by? and if so, any suggestions on how to fix? Pics below:

(Gavin Rainey) #2

as discussed try and prop it up without interrupting anything and straining the cables if you can

damn Bagel, nice rig

(Sam Connolly) #4

This looks like a standard amount of sag in my opinion. If you follow the bottom edge of the GPU it looks like it’s sagging more than it actually is due to the plastic housings funky shape, but if you follow the top where the circuit board is it does actually look fairly stable.

If you’re worried though you can buy things named bracket bars which can prevent it. http://mnpctech.com/gpu-support-bracket/ has some stuff listed up there, sorry I don’t have a UK site. I’ve never used one of these and don’t know how effective they are, honestly I’d be going with Gav’s suggestion and propping it up

Cheers for the advice man, so I’ve managed to do a makeshift fix for the moment. I’ve grabbed a couple of the rubber feet from my NAS, just the back two as the front two keep my fan off the floor. Combined with an old placemat Han bought me, made of chalk and an old PCB seem to have done the trick. I’ve checked the fan clearence on the card against them as well and there’s plenty of room as long as they don’t slip. I’ll look into gluing them down soon as well to make sure they don’t go anywhere.

Also, cheers @Venom mate.

@Prio Yea, as I’d said I’ve read a little and it seems that cards, especially of this size do bend quite a bit but I was still a little unhappy and concerned with how much in all honesty. I’ve also had a quick check of similar braces and am seriously considering grabbing one. Cheers again mate.

(Sam Connolly) #6

That’s the best makeshift fix I think I’ve ever seen, it’s completely hidden when you look at it and makes it sit perfectly centre, damn good job

Cheers man, I’ve got some Araldite somewhere I’m thinking of using but yea, I’ve gotta go out shortly so i’ll have to wait on that one.

(Sam Hather) #8

It’s probably lagging with sadness after only being able to put out 60hz

(Yan) #9

Wish the inside of my PC looked like that, mine is more like a dusty cave for spiders to live in

(Gavin Rainey) #10

Bagel is the utlimate razer fangay

Not going lie, I’d have that in a heartbeat.

(Gavin Rainey) #12

probably all 60hz panels tho

(Dean) #13

30hz 4k up top to justify buying a second 1080

(Luke) #14

Looks fine to me however looking at that swanky ass rig of yours you
might want to consider gettin a GPU brace. Somethin like this:

Nearly 5 months on and I’ve finally moved on to a permanent solution. Found some black Aluminium Angle’s from ebay for cheap as hell, measured them up and cut to size, drilled a hole, filed down and cut down one of the PCI-E protectors you get on new graphics cards. I was considering something like what you mentioned @Brew_Drinker but decided to do something relatively discrete, quite happy with how it’s turned out tbh. Also ignore the dust, need to sort out my fan setup at some point soon, major negative pressure atm.

(Luke) #16

These pics are rather arousing 8====D