Mass Effect: Andromeda

(Fatmanp) #1

Is anybody looking forward to this? I have started a playthrough of the original trilogy this week and I am half way through ME2 now. From what I have seen the combat looks like it has received a substantial upgrade but the game also appears to be returning more to its RPG roots with its skills and levelling system. Until about a week ago it was just one of those games I was curious about but the more I see it has quickly become my most anticipated game of the year.

Thoughts?

(Gavin Rainey) #2

Never ever played a Mass Effect game, thought about it then was it ME3 that sucked? and it put me off

(Sam Hather) #3

Very, very interested to see what they do with this one. Can’t wait to properly explore planets and that again.

ME2 was one of my favourite games ever.

@Easy they fucked it up with the release, they’ve fixed all that shite now, i’d say give them a go but they’re definitely not everyone’s cups of tea if you like RPGs as they’re not the ‘traditional’ kind.

(Fatmanp) #4

ME1 was a fantastic game with slightly clunky combat. ME2 had far superior combat but stripped away a lot of the RPG elements. ME3 improved the combat and restored some of the RPG elements but will always be remembered for its ending. The reason why so many people were up in arms over the ending was because of just how good the storyline leading into it was. I would recommend giving them a go as they are still some of the best games released in the last decade.

(C**t ) #5

Agree 100%, for me the story was the best with ME2, though that is the title where EA’s disgusting DLC practices started to corrupt the experience.

(Fatmanp) #6

Doing my playthrough of ME2 now. I don’t necessarily think ME2 has a better overarching story just that the characters are more fleshed out because of the side missions. ME1 for me still has the best story.

Andromeda apparently is less of a space soap opera and more of an exploration style game which I am fine with.

Fucking love me some Mass Effect, was gonna replay the series before Andromeda comes out, finally do a FemShep run. Gotta say, my personal fave is the original, it really feels like the only real space opera game, more Star Trek than Star Wars.

I’m hype for andromeda though I wish they had gone in a different direction, I know this time it’s explorers instead of saving the universe but we’re still going to be hopping from planet to planet and meeting aliens. I would really love to have a whole game set on the Citadel, because it’s so enormous, yet we only get to see the tiniest fragment of it over the 3 games. I’d always thought that playing as a C-Sec officer, dealing with the underground crime on the Citadel would be really cool, sort of like a sci-fi LA Noire but not shit.

(Fatmanp) #8

Just finished ME2. I never appreciated how good the story through the first two games is until now. About 2 hours into ME3 and i am enjoying it far more than I recall the first time around.

(Sam Hather) #9

I replayed them quite recently and I enjoyed them much more than I did previously, not sure why. Maybe because I haven’t played another RPG in like a year now.

(Fatmanp) #10

When I finish it I am debating whether to run through the Kotor series again or have my first ever run at the Dragon Age series. As you can see I am on a bit of a Bioware binge.

(Sam Hather) #11

KOTOR is the best, some of the Dragon Age games are great too, if you haven’t played them then i’d recommend giving them a bash :slight_smile:

(Xenoscythe) #12

@Roozle is smashing dragon age origins atm. Mad how people seem to gravitate towards similar games at the same time.

I actually own the game but haven’t ever played it, based steam sales. Looks really good though.

(Sam Hather) #13

Origins is class mate… Give FM a break and give it a try :wink:

(Fatmanp) #14

Just finished ME3. Really glad I replayed the series. Fantastic games in their own way. I hope Andromeda borrows/builds upon the RPG elements of the first, the character interaction and resource gathering from second and the combat from the third.

This is now my most hyped game of the year :slight_smile:

(Liam Dakin) #15

I’ve put like 50+ hours into Dragon Age Origins this past fortnight. Absolutely beautifully executed combat system and plot to boot! Rogue is boring the crap out of me though :smiley:
Even though i never played ME1, I

LOVED

ME2 and ME3, I’ll 100% be getting ME:A

(Fatmanp) #16

Dragon Age Origins it is boys.

(Fatmanp) #17

Oh I am so in.

Not once I have ever really wanted to play ME, but man that looks damn fun.

(Gazza) #19

didnt the exploration suck ass in the other games? you had one where you had empty planets to drive around and one where you scanned a planet…

idk if exploration is a good thing to say you have improved on rather than the space soap opera? isnt that just another way of saying the story is shit?

i cant get hyped for this anyway even as a fan of the series. Its not going to be as good as the trilogy was imo

(Sam Hather) #20

A mix of the exploration from 1 & the other 2 would be great - seems like what they’re going for.

It could be such a good game - don’t think it would be too unrealistic for them to make it better than the other games, they were great but every single one of them had lots of room to improve.