Ranked (Constructed) Discussion

(DayC) #404

haha i’ve seen some really decent golden monkey decks so it can be done. The tempo lost from the golden monkey build up means you have to build up reserves of armor early and clear to stabilise. Learning to make choices for the good of the game rather than the turn in those decks feels essential too.

I’ve played against a Mage version that went in way too early and a Priest version that went in way too late. Warrior has the leeway of being able to skip low threat turns in order to begin the chain which makes it ideal for the job really.

(DayC) #405

Looks like there is a media event penciled in for March 9th regarding Hearthstone. Announcement of an announcement but still at the very least a month away from a Secretless standard meta.

(Gaskin) #406

Climbed to rank 5 over the past day or so with Tempo Mage.

Looking forward to ‘standard’ for sure.

(DayC) #407

It’ll promote a lot more creativity for sure mate, will likely cut out a lot of net decking too. Gj on rank 5!

(Gaskin) #408

I think net decking will always be a thing as a lot of players don’t know how or can’t be bothered to create their own deck.

Idd, my thoughts entirely. Unsure why net decking would suddenly drop in popularity? When the reason people net deck is either, as you’ve stated or want to know what the ‘best decks’ are at that time and want to emulate the success of others. More creative freedom wouldn’t stop this, as there will always be ‘better decks’ that people will turn to.

(Dean) #410

“Net decking” exists in every game, MOBAs are a great place to look for things like this. A Hero goes from trash tier to god tier simply by a top player picking them, no changes nothing like that, a top player just showed people how to play it.

(DayC) #411

Calm your tits boys I didn’t say it’d be abolished entirely.

It will always be a thing and it’s Blizzard’s job to balance the the card pool in such a way that unskilled players like myself can’t just drop Mysterious Challenger and win.

Assuming Blizzard’s piss poor design choices continue in the same fashion, you’re 100% correct. If they actually get their shit together then their card pool should be able to provide answers in any meta. They need to start thinking about counter play rather than just shoving mechanics onto a card because it sounds cool.

[quote=“Noodle, post:410, topic:282, full:true”]
“Net decking” exists in every game, MOBAs are a great place to look for things like this. A Hero goes from trash tier to god tier simply by a top player picking them, no changes nothing like that, a top player just showed people how to play it.[/quote]

This is true, moba’s do have a similar thing. MOBA’s also have the opportunity for counter play. Understanding individual champion build paths and play styles will allow you to counter pick effectively. Hearthstone doesn’t have this and that’s sort of what i’m getting at with the net decking comment. I probably should have rephrased it to “It will likely reduce the effectiveness of net decking”.

You’re all correct in saying net decking won’t go away, there will always be people who pick decks off sites because they’ve been tried and tested but right now there is very little counter play vs those decks and promoting the value of crafting your own strats should be the number 1 priority of this new standard format, otherwise what’s the point?

(Van Slab) #412

Just started playing anyfin pally. Murloc/combo my kinda deck

Hope it still exists within standard

(DayC) #413

I’m sure I read the non-craftable legends wouldn’t be available in standard but would be craftable for use in Wild. That includes Old Murk Eye which may hurt the deck a bit I guess?

(Van Slab) #414

Ja I don’t think they’ve confirmed anything about the reward set yet

(Van Slab) #415

Game is dead https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/47yca6/standard_faq_updated_rewards_cards_like_old/

Fucking hell, that moment where you forget to face with a 1/1 and in the same game lose because you’re one off lethal.

(DayC) #417

Hearthstone is brutal for this kind of learning process because that moment sits with you the entire game and when it ends up like this it hurts so much more.

(DayC) #418

The announcement of the announcement has happened: http://imgur.com/y99DfoQ

(DayC) #419

Whispers of the Old Gods advertisement spotted in Williams burg.

I can see some interesting fatties coming out of this.

(Gavin Rainey) #420

@Lethal

wog

(Lethal) #421

This is a fantastic constructed discussion, I am now going to shag my nan to celebrate, good night

(DayC) #422

Good documentary about the hero Brian Kibler in Magic and how he got famous in the tcg community.

(Gavin Rainey) #423