SSRCG Transformation Challenge

(Sam Connolly) #83

So theres a 10k race in the village I live and a spot opened up last night, so signed up and I’ve now done one of my goals. Took me 1hr 25 mins, 5 mins less than my last time. Good thing is my breathing was fine, but I’d been walking around a lot past few days so legs were knackered within first 2km.

(Gavin Rainey) #84

The end of this is coming up.

I have done poorly compared to how I wanted to, I have noticable difference in size but still too much bodyfat, this year has been hectic for sure!

When this one is done I would like to do another 6 month stint, or even extend this one to 1 year.

(Sam Connolly) #85

I’m in pretty much the exact same boat, also happy to extend.

I also missed my target by a long shot, in fact I’ve probably put on weight since I set my goal. However I feel much fitter, I have some marginal amount of muscle on my arms and chest now where I previously had none, ot be honest I think my goals are changing completely from when I set them. Initially I was all about weight loss, now I’m just enjoying lifting till I can’t lift no more, and going on runs to get my asthma under control and my fitness up.

(Sam Hignett) #86

I think we’re gonna need a bigger boat boys.

Whilst I have definitely gained some weight since the start of the challenge, I’ve definitely not reached a weight that I’m happy at yet. I’m with @Prio here in that my goals have kind of shifted from just “GAINZ” to at least trying to have a healthier lifestyle. I’m not totally eating healthy ( @Veasu can confidently back me up on this ) but I’d like to think I’ve made a step in the right direction, eating more fruit + veggies and paying a little more attention to my macros like protein intake to help compliment my lifting which is what I’m most happy about.

At the start I did work out but I didn’t have a whole lot of motivation to do it, but I’ve caught the lifting bug and actively enjoy working out now. I’ve got myself into a nice routine and seeing real progress with what I can bench/press/squat etc is a nice feeling :smiley: . As far as extending the challenge I’m happy either way.

(Peter Woodberry) #87

I failed pretty much every goal I set myself, mainly due to having numerous injury set backs meaning I didnt play first team football from christmas until march time then after being back for 2-3 games had another niggly injury which kept me out for another month so decided to just aim to be fit for pre-season which starts mid july.

I am pretty much back to full fitness now and will be working hard over the next few weeks to get my body stronger but I expect I will still be far off the pace in the first session of pre-season.

Staying motivated throughout an injury is hard and I definitely slacked off and it made things worse but now I’m more motivated than ever.

(Tom Cannon) #88

Yeah, I seem to be in the same boat as everyone else. I have started to eat a lot healthier though, managed to kick my Energy Drink Intake down a considerable amount and feel better for both of these but have stayed about the same weight as when I began. This was mainly from injuring my ACL quite badly around the end of Feb with it still playing up every now and again now, and having about a rough month of personal stuff both of which just completely destroyed my motivation for eating healthy or exercising in any way.

If there is another round going I will be more than up for joining and absolutely sticking to it this time, accounting for the injury I have sustained though (Mainly less impact cardio). I would like to start going to the actual gym and lifting again but with my current working life I just don’t think I can do it, but I am going to commit a good few months to trying to work some sort of routine out.

Edit: Also yes @SamHiggy does eat shit things at work, but he also eats far more good things than I give him credit for. Maybe just try and cut down on the whole packets of caramel digestives haha.

(Sam Connolly) #89

Might be worth looking at a gym near work, and going straight after so you avoid rush hour. It’s usually wasted time where you’d just be sat in traffic anyway

(Gavin Rainey) #90

But those biscuits Tom, theyre my favourite

I think I might just need to run away with Higgy and get it over and done with

(Sam Hignett) #91

This right here is a man of fine tastes, just take me now daddy!

(Sam Hignett) #92

mfw I can’t eat whole packets of caramel digestives:

(Tom Cannon) #93

Might not be much but I finally got back in the gym. Only did about 30mins on the bike and a few curls afterwards, but it is a start at least. Now I just need to keep this motivation up, keep at it, and hope that my knee stays intact for the future.

(Sam Hignett) #94

Hey guys! It’s been a while I know but I’m curious to see how y’all are getting on :D. It’s been nearly 4 months since my last update but things are going well for me. I managed to hit my original weight goal of 145lbs (up from 123lbs) and I’m now hovering around 148lbs at the moment. My eating has become a fair bit cleaner (I aint giving up those cheeky Ben&Jerry’s tubs every now and then though) and I’ve added some running into my routine for the last month.

My current routine at the moment looks like:

Monday - Weightlifting
Tuesday - 35 minute run
Wednesday - Weightlifting
Thursday - 35 minute run
Friday - Weightlifting
Saturday - 35 minute run
Sunday - Rest

I’ve changed workouts to the updated version of the ICF 5x5 workout and although it means fucking long gym sessions due to long rests between each sets, I’ve been able to see real changes in my strength. My main lifts have improved quite a bit as well which i’m pretty chuffed about:
Squat : 35kg -> 90kg
Bench: 30kg -> 60kg
Curls: 15kg -> 30kg
Overhead Press: 20kg -> 37.5kg

Overall I’m happy with where I’m going right now. I’m looking to maybe cap off my weight around 160lbs and then maybe cut and lean out from there.

(Fatmanp) #95

Those are some very good lift increases in particular the OHP which is notoriously the most difficult lift to increase. Good job.

(Sam Connolly) #96

I’d say I’ve only put on about half my body weight in sheer fat in the past month - clutivating mass you see. Have had a bit of a hectic couple of weeks with starting new job and lots of corporate meals and nights out.

Recovering from an illness atm but running starts this week, gonna try and do 5k 3 times a week. Also started with dialing back the portion size today, struggling but hopefully it’ll get easier

(Gavin Rainey) #97

I am down from 19 stone 6 to 18 stone 3, and im stronger and can run more than ever.

I am nowhere near where I wanted to be but I am trying hard.

I am also training for the wolf run, if you wanna knock a quidin the pot feel free but dont feel obligated.

Higgy keep it up mate.

(Tom Cannon) #98

Had a really rough few months, lots of alcohol and different meds fucking with me plus just generally feeling like utter shit seems to have gained me lovely 1.5 stone. Going hard at it again now aiming to lose this by December hopefully to get me back to my original starting weight again.

On the bike every day, gone from dying after 10 mins on sunday to just finishing 30 mins today so hopefully be getting that back to an hour soon. Going to start some weight training soon once I have my cardio routine down. I am recording everything I eat and drink now and aiming for about 1500 cals a day.

Hopefully with all that I can lose this before Christmas begins.

(Anthony) #100

Haven’t weighed myself in months, but feel the progress. Definitely noticed it when it comes to waist measurement. Just been cycling as much as I can since June.

Also been vegetarian since then which has really helped with energy levels and contributed to weight loss. Energy drink intake is down to 1 or less a month. Still drink black coffee a few times a week.

Once the weather and daylight hours restrict my cycling too much, I’ll either take to an indoor cycling trainer or add running into my routine.

Keep up the progress everyone!

(Sam Connolly) #101

Sounds like you’re smashing it mate, well done :slight_smile:

(Gavin Rainey) #102

So in reality, im fitter and stronger, and lighter but im still in horrible shape and couldve done so much better.

But when I look back ive done the three most stressful things all this year, having a baby, moving house and changing job.

This is going to be a life thing for me. Me and Jade eat better, we cook so much more fresh and what not now.

Keep going lads never give up.

(Anthony) #103

I give up on being vegetarian…

now I’m vegan instead :sunglasses: