The Gym and Nutrition Thread

(Paul Corkin) #61

Honestly the stance of your feet is all about how comfortable you feel, Point straight or out, etc doesn’t make much of a difference to me anyway. I’d take advice from someone who is currently in shape and working out everyday. I don’t really do dead lifts at all anymore so not the best for advice on them.

All depends what your goals are.

(Erlend Prestmo) #62

Form is obviously important, but even more important is the key to good form, proper mobility. I have serious mobility issues downstairs, most likely from being seated in a chair all my life.

(Adam) #63

First day at the gym today. Felt good to workout properly for once. Going to try and push myself hard in the next few months.

(Randal Octagonapus) #64

Was feeling a bit crap about my exam fat so been going like 3/4 with 2x 4 miles of hill running times a week the past month. Making swifffftttt gains.

Mainly focussing on compound weights and kettle bells. So clean and jerks, squats, bench, rows and lots of kettle bells. Sitting at about 13.5 stone (87kg, 6"2) fairly lean, still wouldn’t mind losing 1 or 2% or so, so that the abs are a bit more prominent.

Anyone got any compound lifts / kettle bell exercises they enjoy and would advise? Getting a bit bored.

(Erlend Prestmo) #65

Looking for opinions on my 1RM Deadlift.

From what I can see on my own:

• Commit to the lift once lats have been engaged and the last breath have been inhaled.

• Keep arms straight, looked like I put quite a load on my biceps.

• Maybe keep my ass from rising so early looked like major strain on my lower back at the end.

(Paul Corkin) #66

Where you waiting for the bar to jump up into your hands. :smile:

Really started slacking the last few weeks… pretty much only going to the gym on the days that I’m off work. All due to some kind of sleeping disorder, like I literally only sleep for a few hours and then wake, usually around the same time and that’s it, can’t go back to sleep after that. Had so little sleep during the work week last week that I ended up sleeping for 19 hours straight on my first day off. It’s fucking killing me.
So naturally going to the gym is the last thing on my mind when I come home battered as fuck. Pretty gay all of this… Feel free to give me some advice on how to fix this. Also probs worth mentioning that I work night shift and sleep during the day.

(Paul Corkin) #68

Been trying to keep up going 3 days a week, Slacking on the protein side but don’t mind that as i get it in my meals, happy with the progress i’m making, trying to work my core a lot lately. So fucking hard doind so many core exercises in hour and half :frowning:

(Fusion) #69

If you get your protein in your meals then you aren’t slacking on the protein side mate. Don’t waste time doing abs for 90 minutes.

(Paul Corkin) #70

I don’t do my abs for 90 minutes. 90 minutes was a reference to the time spent in gym. Cardio included, etc

(Erlend Prestmo) #71

Let’s talk barbell bent over rows.
What do you guys think is the best way to perform them? Personally I stay more upright, more of a Yates style, but what I do that I wonder if is correct, is that I “rest” the barbell on my quads and pull to my lower abs. But in these youtube vids I dont really see people slide the barbell on their quads like that…

(Paul Corkin) #72

Arched back and try stay still and just use the arms to pull back, Like you’re trying to touch shoulder blades. Don’t understand the resting on your quads part but i guess that comes from the Yates style, if i where you i’d get away from that style, seems like more of a shrug and for someone just looking to lift heavy and not work on the back. Personally i prefer Dumbbell Bent-Over Row, one arm at a time. I get to set myself better, take my time, and lift more.

(Erlend Prestmo) #73

The thing is, after holding a consistant schedule for a while now, I got very sore in my lats last week from including this style of rows in my program.

(Paul Corkin) #74

If you want to target the lats / traps then continue with it. Like i said though it’s more of a shrug which most people doing the back do not like.

(Gavin Rainey) #75

I prefer pendlay rows

(Erlend Prestmo) #76

Started Phat recently and wxecuted the pendlay rows similar to this:

What do you think @Easy?

(Gavin Rainey) #77

Jason B knows his shit m8

RIP all my gainz. Fucked my shoulder up, don’t know what it is yet, doc has to look at the x-rays and ultrasound scan first.
So fucking bummed, just when I finally started to enjoy it and slowly started to see my body take shape. I’m so pissed.

(Luke) #79

RIP anything I’ve gained over the last year too.

I do/did Muay Thai 2-3 times a week for 2-3 hours, a strength and conditioning circuit class for 1 hour a week and then 2 sessions of compound weights.

Been off for months now and looking to be off for at least another 6 weeks all due to injury and illness. Cracked a rib during sparring so had to take a few weeks off, then had a sprained wrist, then came down with a nasty chest infection so couldn’t do any cardio. 2 weeks ago I went back for my first session, everything was great, felt better already. Just went on holiday and broke my wrist, clean through the radius. RageFace.

(Gavin Rainey) #80

Where I train, as of tonight.

http://www.ironworksbirmingham.com/ironworks_gym

Anyone wants to train let me know. I am in terrible shape atm, but that is about to change.