The OT Thread of OT

(Liam Dakin) #2547

You know what pal i don’t think i could handle it, cringe gives me migraines and i sold my fedora on ebay, also sorry i missed this, our landlord has been ignoring us and our bath is leaking into our living room so life’s over!

(DayC) #2548

Hey that happened to me once, nightmare, good luck!

Fuck man =/ Hope everything gets sorted quickly.

(Xenoscythe) #2550

Well that lasted long.

(Dean) #2551

Only time I’ve regretted buying EAS

(DayC) #2552

I have heard @Xenoscythe <3’s auto play. The greatest feature to ever grace the web.

(Sam Hather) #2553

This, for me at least, is the #1 reason that Weed should be legalised.

Why let everyone be addicted to opioids when they can get their pain relief from something a million times safer?

https://housely.com/opioid-abuse-drops-in-states-with-legal-cannabis/

(Gavin Rainey) #2554

Chinese baidu link snow masked as google links

be careful

(Sam Hather) #2555

lol

Comparison among the consoles -
CPU
Scorpio - 8 custom cores (described as “evolved” Jaguar cores) clocked at 2.3 GHZ (x86)
Xbox One - 8 Jaguar cores clocked at 1.75 GHZ
PS4 Pro - 8 Jaguar cores clocked at 2.1 GHZ

GPU
Scorpio - 40 customized compute units at 1172 Mhz
Xbox One - 12 GCN compute units at 853 Mhz (914 Mhz on the S)
PS4 Pro - 36 improved GCN compute units at 911 Mhz

Memory and memory bandwidth
Scorpio - 12 GB GDDR5, 326 GB/s bandwidth
Xbox One - 8 GB DDR3 + 32 MB ESRAM, 68 GB/s for DDR3 and 204 GB/s for the ESRAM.
PS4 Pro - 8 GB GDDR5, 218 GB/s bandwidth

Hard drive
Scorpio - 1 TB HDD
Xbox One - 500 GB/1 TB/2 TB HDD
PS4 Pro - 1 TB HDD

Optical Drive
Scorpio - 4K UHD Blu-Ray
Xbox One - Blu Ray on Xbox One, 4K UHD Blu-Ray on Xbox One S
PS4 Pro - Blu-Ray

Other notes from the video:
“At the front end of the GPU sits the command processor, which takes the instructions from the CPU and processes them. And here’s where things get really interesting - Microsoft’s engineer’s have effectively made a hardware implementation of DX12 integrated directly into the GPU command processor. Draw call instructions on the CPU that would typically require thousands of instructions are now reduced to just 11. Yes, 11. State changes that are also heavy on CPU are now cut down to just 9. Microsoft tells me that this custom hardware alteration should drop CPU rendering workload by half on titles built on DX12 renderers.”

Compute power for the Scorpio GPU is rated at 6.0 TF (compared with 1.31 for the Xbox One, 1.84 for the PS4, and 4.2 for the PS4 Pro).
“So compared to the new Sony console [PS4 Pro], that’s an additional 11% Radeon hardware, but a 27% boost to frequency, combined this gives Scorpio a 43% compute advantage.”

Scorpio will allow 8 GB of RAM for games, compared with 5 GB of RAM available for games on the Xbox One and PS4 Pro. That leaves 4 GB available for the Scorpio OS, meaning it will reportedly be able to render the dashboard at native 4k.

“[Forza 6] is hitting 4k at 60 frames per second effortlessly. Take a look at the GPU utilization at the top there - 66.19%. Now I personally have seen this demo running on Scorpio hardware and the utilization does vary. I saw it drop as low as 55% with fewer cars on screen, and it can go as high as say 70%. But the point is that this is a straight Xbox One port. The only Scorpio enhancement is the resolution and the inclusion of 4k art assets. This means that, yes, we will see 1080p Xbox One games running at native 4k on Scorpio. But more than that, the fact that the hardware is kind of underutilized means that there’s a ton of GPU power left over for making the game look much better.”

(Xenoscythe) #2556

That’s great and all, but whats the price?

(Sam Hather) #2557

Probably too much - this is real interesting though.

(Gavin Rainey) #2558

It isnt, its comparing HDD sizes in the quote you put there

90% of that article is nothing important or interesting

WOWEE THE RES ON OUR SHIT GAMES IS HIGHER NOW

Does worry me about the marketing strategy of the Scorpio when upscaled (not upscaled because you know it has ‘4k art assets’ /s) Xbox one ports are used to prove GPU utilisation… Especially racing titles that are rather restricted in terms of graphical design - i.e. map size/distance rendering etc.

However I do agree with you Smath, the direct implementation of DX12 to the GPU sounds interesting.

(Xenoscythe) #2560

I hear prio engine is the way forward

(Xenoscythe) #2561

:open_mouth: Tomb Raider online

http://xproger.info/projects/OpenLara/

(Luke) #2562

I … really miss my wigga.

Is that the same fuckin dude who did IMDABES and Rifle Burs?

(Luke) #2564

Same dude… it’s so tarted it’s good.

I’ve got a phone interview for a graduate software engineering position at L3 on Monday. Never had to do one before so I’m pretty nervous. Does anybody have any tips? :sweat:

(Sam Hather) #2566

Can’t comment on the job role, but with the phone interview make sure you’re sat down and have the job spec open so you can refer back to it if you ever get lost mid question.

If you’d like to do a trial run send me the job spec and your number and i’d be more than willing to grill ya and help you prep.

Interviewing is what I do for a living now so!