Visualisation of the Lyrical Ability of Artists in Hip-Hop / Rap

(Randal Octagonapus) #1

http://rappers.mdaniels.com.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/

Nice to finally see some evidence of why the Wu are the best. Out of the top 10, 3 of them are Wu and 1 of them is Wu as a collab.

Nice to see Cunninlynguists up there and not surprised at all by Aesopp taking the number 1 spot. Also nice to see all the ‘pop’ rap like Drake, 50 cent, Lil Wayne, Wiz Khalifa and Jeezy wayyyy down at the bottom where they belong.

It’s just a shame that lyrical ability isn’t a decent measurement of success in this intelligence starved industry.

Anyone impressed / surprised by some of these?

Wu tang forever.

(Gavin Rainey) #2

I am not really suprised DMX is at the bottom, his videos were never amazing, his lyrics however, Slippin’ is a big tune

(Matt) #3

Aesopp is pretty much an enigma code haha.

First two lines of his Float album hooked me, and then the rest of it reeled me in haha

This fallen angel could stitch a wing with a shoestring;
The prime directive selects reflective aviation bathed in mood swing

(DayC) #4

I was surprised X and 40 are so high, I expected them to be around the Ice Cube mark but thinking back on 40’s early material talking about life and what goes on around him it’s only natural he’d relatively high on the scale. I don’t think i’m surprised to see a single rapper below that mark however.

It is a shame but this site is just about lyrical capacity / the quantity of words that an artist has at their disposal rather than the way in which those lyrics are used, as proven by Aesop being #1.

(Mark Dornan) #5

Amount of words hardly reflects quality?

(Dean) #6

Aesopp is the king of Hip-Hop to be far.

I am genuinely shocked at Tu-Pac been as low as he is.

(Gavin Rainey) #7

Tupacs videos are shit and coachella wasn’t his idea.

Aesopp is okay, sometimes he loses himself in his flow but he has got the lyrics down.

I like more golden era stuff though.

Eminem did quite well with his videos strange I couldn’t find him in that article.

Deltron3030 makes stories with words

(Webb) #8

why is everyone using two P’s for Aesop haha? Always said it, absolute hip hop genius, you have to listen to his tracks 6 or 7 times before you can actually grasp what he’s saying, for 13 years i’ve been listening to his shit and it never gets old!

Also not surprised DMX is last, literally barking and shit in his songs.

(Rob Thomas) #9

Eminem is at the top in the middle.

(Gavin Rainey) #10

He is okay but he has a big internet following that puts him to be something that he isnt, and i have no idea why, I think I copied someone else from a previous post.

He is making beats and everything himself now which I rate highly. But a genius im not sure. Saying you need to listen to his tracks 6-7 times over isn’t necessarily a good thing.

good spot Rob, I ctrl+f’d it and nothing came up so I gave up

(Webb) #11

I disagree Gav, I think his following is absolutely miniscule compared to some artists, whereas his work hits home much more and is much more profound than a lot of artists who are 10X more popular than him. I get what you mean about how having to listen to his tracks a few time to get them might not be a good thing, but you have to enjoy his tracks and flows etc to be able to enjoy repeat listening haha, which you don’t as much as other, im a big fan of listening to his songs a few times due to the fact I’ll learn and it’s interesting seeing how he puts his experience into lyrics.

He’s not for everyone, but shit man that music is definitely for me, but I can see why you believe he’s overrated.

aesop forever

(Gavin Rainey) #12

It’s good we don’t agree on everything, how shit would conversation be?

take it over to the hip hop thread to drop some tunes, see what other people think

(Webb) #13

Very true : )

I will do when I’m home, I’ll upload some of the hidden tracks that aren’t on YouTube too so people can get a good listen!

(Lewis) #14

Surprised Sadistik isn’t on there near the top :frowning:

(Randal Octagonapus) #15

True but it’s a good performance metric, I hate ‘pop’ rap and ‘gangster’ rap and this visualisation exposes these ‘rappers’ for the repetitive drivel they spit with a 10 year olds vocab. Don’t get me wrong, their music appeals to the masses so obviously some people must find it good, but a lot of people watch The only way is Essex too which is pretty much the same concept.

When you combine intelligence with flow and dope lyrics you get some immense albums, which is why you see so many of the Wu at the top.

What’s I find most interesting though is that in his solo stuff Raekwon is the lowest but in the collabs he’s the most diverse. Saving all his good stuff for the Wu tang albums and using the stuff left over for his solo albums? It’s the opposite of GZA.